Nawrocki and the Peace Council: Caution or a Missed Opportunity?

Poland sends an observer to Trump’s Peace Council while facing criticism for President’s absence at the inaugural meeting in Washington.

Nawrocki Criticizes President’s Decision

– I believe the President made a mistake by not participating in the Peace Council’s inauguration. He was pressured by people from the government and stepped back – says one of Karol Nawrocki’s collaborators, who believes that the presence of Marcin Przydacz, head of the International Policy Office in the President’s Chancellery, will go unnoticed. – No one will talk to him because this format is reserved for prime ministers and presidents, he is convinced.

Poland’s Observer Status at Peace Council

And indeed, he has a good point. By sending Marcin Przydacz to open the Peace Council, Karol Nawrocki wanted to avoid accusations from the United States that Poland is taking a dismissive approach to the new international body established by Donald Trump. The President’s presence in Washington would have given Poland the opportunity to contact important leaders, including the possibility of regular meetings and talks with the US President. The first meeting of the council will take place this Thursday, February 19th in Washington. Representatives of at least 20 countries will participate. Poland received an invitation as an observer.

Trump’s Peace Council Formation and Members

The Peace Council was established by Donald Trump during the 56th World Economic Forum in Davos. So far, the following countries have joined: Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Hungary, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Mongolia, Morocco, Pakistan, Paraguay, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United States, Uzbekistan, El Salvador and Israel. Among others, Germany, France, New Zealand, Great Britain, Norway and Sweden have declined the invitation.

Tusk Clarifies Poland’s Position

Earlier, Donald Tusk commented on the upcoming council meeting. – The Peace Council of President Trump is meeting in Washington. As we have repeatedly informed the Polish public, our partners, and also the President, the government does not foresee Poland’s participation in the Peace Council under these circumstances and conditions. Any visit to Washington by a representative of the President will be observational, so a Polish representative can certainly participate in these meetings as an observer, said the Prime Minister during a government meeting.

He then emphasized that “Poland certainly does not intend and will not send Polish soldiers to the Gaza Strip.” – We have our own security problems. (…) Poland is also not interested in co-financing development projects in the Gaza Strip, he added. These words correspond to what Donald Trump announced after establishing the council, namely that countries participating in its work would be obligated to send soldiers as part of stabilization forces.

Arguments for and Against Participation

The government’s arguments for not joining the Peace Council are rational, especially since none of the major European countries have decided to join Trump’s institution. Moreover, the government’s approach apparently resonated with the President himself, who was afraid to go to Washington on his own. Civic Coalition politicians claimed that even if the President had reached the Peace Council, it wouldn’t have changed much because he is not in a position to make binding decisions for the government.

– A vassal attitude toward the United States does not appeal to Poles. The President is following, just like us, public opinion polls, says a Civic Coalition politician. One of the President’s collaborators disagrees, believing that Poland should participate in every forum where a discussion about European security will take place. He also denies that Poland would have to pay a billion dollars for membership in the Peace Council, as mentioned, among others, by Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski. – Only permanent membership costs a billion dollars. We could have entered the Peace Council for three years for free, comments Nawrocki’s associate.

Cost Clarification from White House

Regarding the controversy about payments, the White House responded in a short statement sent to the Wirtualna Polska portal. – All payments to the Peace Council are voluntary. Participation in the council meeting does not involve any financial obligations – the White House press office communicated.

Previous Article

Record Railway Contract Still Undecided: Torpol and Mirbud File Claim Security Application

Next Article

Funding Confirmed for Polish National Educational Network Beyond 2027